Wednesday 25 February 2009

Home

White squares, green oblongs and a red circle. Ok so I’m looking around the room, much more conscious of ‘looking for things’ than ever before. I’ve sat here staring into space, day after day after day. There’s nothing I haven’t absent mindedly cast my eye over. The white square tiles cover one wall, and part of its adjacent wall. Two green bathroom mats and one circular red bathroom mat. The red circle almost really strikes me... but fluff and bits of hair and stuff gives it the grotty uniform. This bathroom is mostly clean (obviously lived in- old toothbrushes, empty shampoo canisters, and damp towels slouching off the radiator- signs of life) but there is a kind of faint grotty outline, just along the base of the walls and around the base of the toilet.

I think a little about the lock. It’s just a tiny brass bar, but it’s critical to the toilet’s definition. The lock needs to be there. I hardly ever lock it anymore. I used to, and in every other toilet I do without fail. But this is in my home. Mostly home alone. So the peace is unlikely to be disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment